Saturday, May 16, 2009




My copy of Night Noises And Other Mole and Troll Stories used to belong to Craig Yaroch, who has written his name in very fine blue print, on the inside page. I thought it appropriate to thank him for this piece of neatness. Thanks, Craig Yaroch!

In four little episodes with no apparent plot, few words and intricate black-and-white pencil sketches, the affection between the whimsical, impetuous Mole and the wide-eyed,dependable Troll is told in a refreshingly light-hearted way. This book doesn't stick its friendship badge out a mile. (Unlike those that feature bambi inspired, identical, retch yellow bunnies/bears/pigs with psychedelic pink noses, romping on simply too much countryside.) You know, the fun 'n' (not even 'and') frolic kind.

When Mole wishes on a clover, his practicality and fancifulness is tickling. "I wish I had someone to tell me, when my fur needs combing!" He tells Troll, who overwhelmed by his friend's exuberance, listens, keeping a safe distance. When Troll has a toothache, it takes Mole's ingenuity to invent an 'Old Mole Family Way' and Troll's trollness to have faith in it. And the selfishness, the indignance, the taking for granted also has its space here, which I like very much.

The Mole and Troll Adventures are now out-of-print so for all the picture book buffs reading this, if you happen to see them at a book sale, even if the cover has spotting or the binding is damaged, pick it up!

My second hand books man mailed and said they've got lots of Gallico - do I want?Yes, I want!!!!!

YAY!

N

No comments:

Post a Comment